About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, January 22, 2022

How To Be A Girl

A mom started a blog and podcast about her experiences being the mom of a trans child. She now has a book out. She remains anonymous with her (now teenage) child's face not shown. I read a few books on the general subject and this is a good if somewhat standard (basic liberal, the child is shown as strong and vibrant from an early age if with a few hiccups where she's scared and has issues) point of view. IOW, it's basically comfort food on some level.

I was a bit taken back by the idea that c. 2012 it was so novel to have a trans child since the concept surely wasn't to me by then. But, she didn't emphasize that too much and there already being a support group in place and some protections regarding bathrooms and such then (Seattle) at any rate suggests the fact. Plus, it wasn't THAT standard.

Anyway, we have moved pretty far since then at any rate. Ways to go. The book does underline how hard it must be to be a parent. I surely wouldn't want to deal with me and I'm not an only child. "M" sounds like a great kid and maybe one day we will hear more from her. Maybe, she will be a "big sister" (or is?) to a young trans girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!