About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Odds and Ends

A comment! No, just spam. Oh well.

Groundhog's Day: It's 2/2/22. Happy Groundhog's Day! The local groundhog says that we won't have six more weeks of winter. But, like the calendar, the more famous groundhog disagreed. A possible tie-breaker unfortunately died.  There is something a bit weird about the timing.  The Bill Murray movie is pretty fun.

Hall of Fame:  I appreciate that a former player accepts that Bonds won't be in the Hall of Fame (at least by normal means in the short term).  David "Big Papi" Ortiz squeaked in as the sole incoming member (normal class) and this article explains why that is probably bad.  

People disdainfully talk how we are selective, but that's how life goes.  We still have standards.  And, there is a reason why cheating and other morals grounds are cited as reason not to get into the Baseball HOF.  It is not purely a skills thing -- it's in the criteria -- and it need not be.  

And, there are good reasons to be against steroid use in baseball, again even if there always going to be something used.  It's like being some pure libertarian who disdainfully thinks allowing incestual marriage is required or not banning same sex sodomy is just arbitrary.  We can have lines.

(ETA: Also, the Washington "Commanders" -- putting aside how the news leaked a day early -- is not a great name. I actually think the Washington Football Team is better.  Sorta goofy.  The other name sounds rather generic, like it's the name of a fake team in a movie or maybe some XFL team.

It isn't racist. Got that over the Atlanta Braves, I guess.  The Kansas City "21 points will do it!" Chiefs share with them the stupid tomahawk noise too.   "Chiefs" is somewhat less offensive, but that chant is annoying.) 

SCOTUS:  We might have limited Supreme Court news now that they are on a sort of mid-winter break (who knows), but this stands out some.  The Maskless One has decided to take part in a clearly ideological/partisan event without press coverage.  

I wrote a "got to keep it real, Sonia" letter (she responded when I wrote one about the value of Spanish language options on the website) to my favorite justice.  This sort of thing is blatant and the other justices have to realize the problems with simply enabling it.  Sotomayor's bullshit joint statement on the mask issue is both understandable and just that, bullshit.  

Big V: I ordered but did not get the free tests President Biden set up to send to each address.  I wonder if it was addressed without my name; if so, the others at my address might have took it.  

I'm okay if that was the case since my local district (seems to be the assemblywoman though it might have been joint with the senate) gave out a box of tests too.  Plus, I saw something that I would be qualified for some tests via my health insurance.  I also have less of a need for them than others and the other family at my address has multiple people. 

I was annoyed that the promised masks was not ready at first (would had to wait longer) though don't know if it was the more specialized one.  Latest findings is that cloth masks (given to me as a census worker) are least effective.  So, I bought a box of the hospital masks -- not the fancy "N" ones -- to wear when I go on subways and such.  

I wore one when I took the bus and another one for the train.  I stuck with the cloth for quick trips to the store or library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!