About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Various

And Also: To go all Andy Rooney, don't you hate when you can't find something in stores, even though there are so many other items like it? I like to get after-shower spray cheaply, since spending triple the price in the supermarket seems dumb, but all the discount stores didn't have it. The one place that did left the top loose, so it spilled. These things knock off bits of my life, for sure. BTW, I actually saw his bit on bottled water, so the Aquafina "public water" news was not surprising. I'm not a big bw person anyway.


Baseball: In baseball, the Yanks split their "double-header," the first "game" being the completion of a game suspended per the new rule in which a team that goes ahead after an "official" game was reached and the inning could not be completed. The records of that game are dated the day of the original, so if A-Rod hit a home run yesterday as the game was completed, it would apply to that June date. Thus, he would have hit #500 already, being at #499 now.

Given Barroid is at #754, some are interested at possible future holders of the record. The announcers btw thought the backdating was stupid, but I think it makes sense. For instance, a person who pitched already could not have pitched again because we are playing out the game, and someone cannot pitch twice in one game. Backdating is done in other contexts. It takes a bit of creative thinking, but so it goes. BTW, the Mets lost to the Nats, continuing their "limping to postseason" strategy. The Braves came from seven down, but lost in extras.

They Get It -- About F-ing Time -- Edition: Chuck "damn do I sound patronizing" Schumer announced that the burden of proof will be against the President if a Supreme Court vacancy arises -- I'm not sure if this necessarily holds if Thomas retired. Meanwhile, Arlen "I'm concerned but let's be civil now" Specter is looking into Roberts/Alito testimony given their -- surprising only to the fatuous -- rulings the last couple years.

Chicken: TPM discusses the various reasons Republicans might be afraid to take part in the YouTube debate. This includes fear of their base and of democracy overall. As part of its continual "must read" coverage, we also see how the Bush Justice Department twisted voting fraud cases. Not surprisingly, one paper compares him to a piano player in a bordello, Gonzo is apparently unaware of the situation. He promised to look into it.

Farm Bill: I take a look at an article on the farm bill that was just passed in the House here. Food policy overall is obviously of special importance, you know since it's kind of important and all to eat etc., but it is one of those things that we really know pretty little about. I surely haven't been keeping up on the matter. It's one of those things that I have to in some large degree trust to others, underlining the importance of both examining things with an educated eye and -- to repeat myself -- having some hope our interests are being properly represented.

This is also how I work analyzing what is going on in Iraq. I find the whole matter depressing, really, and fundamentally hate the situation we are in. This results in lack of desire (unhealthy, I'm sure) to dwell into how best to handle a lousy situation. The "compromise" (the scare quotes are knowing) will leave a lot to be desired, and the overall situation will still stink. This colors my lack of special care in keeping an eye on exactly what is going on over there, entrusting people I trust to analyze the situation.

There is just so much one can handle, really, and this is an example of the truism. For instance, I referenced the whole second class postage issue. Actually finding the whole story there takes some work, since the people who generally reported it in some detail are against the new policy. Overall, I trust their judgment, but someone on the other side probably would not. A complex balancing of the evidence is often not really how things operate ... I think perhaps one might call my judgment at times "gestalt."

Well, it sounded good when used in How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman. But, who knows ... it is not really a "JET" word. Seems to fit, though.