About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, September 12, 2008

I Am a Constitution Voter

And Also: The fact that a military law that allowed the death penalty for rape of children was so obscure that neither side (including the majority/dissent in Kennedy v. Louisiana) brought it up is telling as to "national consensus," but the majority looks bad for not knowing about it. For whatever reason, the Court put forth a rare call for briefs on a possible re-hearing. Some sort of positive action is quite possible, though at worst it probably will say the military crime issue is still open. A reversal is really doubtful (and simply wrong).


The ACLU informed me of a new campaign that can get you a free bumper stick too, one in which "the Constitution will be the first thing on our minds." When I first saw a message about a "Constitution Voter," I thought of the Constitution Party*. You know like "family values" equal Sarah Palin's crowd. But, the ACLU goes a different way here:
I Am a Constitution Voter

I believe that no one -- including the President -- is above the law.
I oppose all forms of torture, and I support both closing the Guantánamo Bay prison and ending indefinite detention.
I oppose warrantless spying.
I believe that government officials, no matter how high-ranking, should be held accountable for breaking the law and violating the Constitution.
I believe that the Constitution protects every person's rights equally -- no matter what they believe, how they live, where or if they worship, and whom they love.
I reject the notion that we have to tolerate violations of our most fundamental rights in the name of fighting terrorism.
I am deeply committed to the Constitution and expect our country's leaders to share and act on that commitment -- every day, without fail.

That works. It sounds pretty safe, but darn if it seems downright radical these days.

---

* Ron Paul doesn't want to endores McCain because he is too close to Obama -- more Naderite rhetoric about the parties not being really different. He suggested people vote for the Greens, Naderites, Libertarians, or the Constitution Party folks.

Given some of these are quite supportive of federal policies he deems violative (if that is even a word) of state rights alone suggests this is lame, even if they signed on an agreement to clean up D.C. or whatever. Besides, suggesting Obama and McCain are basically two peas in a pod is B.S.